Last week I asked you for your success principles, so I thought it was a good time to share my success secrets. Read on to learn how to be successful today…
Here are my top 3 principles for success in business:
- Be your authentic self: show up as yourself, fully and always!
- Get visible: don’t be shy, and don’t worry about lack of engagement at first – you never know who’s watching.
- Make genuine connections: making meaningful connections is my priority. Switch your mindset to serving rather than selling, and always think about how you can genuinely help those around you.
This is inspired by Jack Canfield, author of The Success Principles, and his even better-known book Chicken Soup for the Soul! Have you read any of his books?
Jack Canfield is a HUGELY inspiring businessman, and a believer in the law of attraction (bonus points) so a lot of his work resonates with me. In the book, there are about 64 principles teaching us how to be successful… Too many to talk about today!
But he has written about 7 Principles of Success and Happiness that you can do today, so let’s have a look at them:
1. Develop four new habits each year: Make them good habits, not bad ones! Or, decided to quit a bad habit. This is taking New Year’s Resolutions to the next level, with not just one habit, but four! Don’t let it overwhelm you though, it could be something as simple as swapping out unproductive habits for more productive ones. Like 20 mins minutes of Netflix for reading before bed!
2. Practice appreciation: This probably isn’t a new one for you, gratitude journals are so popular these days! But the reasoning is simple… Feeling appreciation for the little things, the big things, and those around you makes *everyone* feel good, including yourself. This has an immediate impact on every area of life.
3. Solicit and respect feedback: don’t avoid having those conversations, instead, *ask* for feedback and get curious about how your work/actions are perceived by others! You can use their constructive criticism, ideas, and suggestions to further improve.
4. Keep all your agreements: This is about keeping promises to yourself. How can you expect others to respect you, when you don’t respect yourself? If you’ve said for the last 5 years that you want to do something, this is your time to follow through. No one else can make it happen for you. Commit, commit, commit.
5. Exceed expectations: Simply, you get what you give! You’ll never make it to the top if you only ever do *just enough*. Those that earn the big bucks, have an endless font of knowledge and live a fulfilled life, gave everything they’re 100%. They went above and beyond. If you want to live a life ie them, do what they do, and exceed expectations.
6. Reject rejection: One of my favourite quotes at the moment is “Feel the fear and do it anyway”. Because rejection doesn’t prevent success, fear of rejection does. If you can move past that fear, then you can move forward in life knowing that however many times you get knocked back, you’re still on your path moving towards greater success.
7. Eliminate small obstacles: Instead of spending hours in the day getting frustrated about all the little things, dedicate a day to writing a list of problems and solving them all. It could be as small as fixing your broken doorbell! Once this is done – you’ll have less to worry about and – you’ll see a shift to a more productive, positive mindset.
If you haven’t read The Success Principles, I highly recommend it. It will give you the tools you need to learn how to be successful, today!
Which of these 7 principles do you think you need to work on most? And which have you already got down to a T? Let me know!
Take a look at our most recent blog post: Stop Doing These 5 Things To Increase Your Success Rate